2 ½ cups sugar
2 cups butter
½ cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon real vanilla
1 ½ cups chopped roasted almonds
½ cup finely chopped almonds
12 ounces chocolate chips
- Spray a 10×17 or 10×15 pan with Pam or use a Silpat.
- Put sugar, butter, salt, water, and vanilla in a four-quart pan. Bring to boil and continue to stir until 285 degrees F is reached.
- Add the 1 ½ cups of almonds and stir until 300 degrees F is reached, take off the heat, and pour into the greased pan.
- After five minutes sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Wait 10 minutes and spread the chips, then the ½ cup of finely chopped almonds.
- Cool for two hours then break into pieces. Enjoy in a covered tin or plastic container.
Makes: One cookie sheet
Total Time: 2 ½ hours
About the Chef
Name of Chef: Jo-Ann Porter
Family Members: Oldest son and daughter-in-law, two sisters, 13 nieces and nephews
Community: San Marcos
Hobbies: Cooking and baking since my early teens
Favorite Local Activity: I enjoy walking and love to just watch the ocean.
About the Recipe: I sell fudge, toffee, and other candies with Jo-Ann’s Sweet Creations at the San Marcos Farmers’ Market. The other recipes are trade secrets, but my butter toffee is a recipe that brings back memories of my early years in Van Nuys where I grew up. My mother would open the doors to our little home for everyone to join us after Christmas Eve service. It was also my father’s birthday. In honor of both of my parents, I hope you will enjoy this treat as much as our family and friends did.
About the Chef: I was widowed in 2011 and currently am a three-time cancer survivor. I know we all face tragedies in our lives and I have been fortunate to have found a hobby that will help support me, keep me focused, and help pay the medical bills. I continue to share some of my earnings with the American Cancer Society and Alzheimer’s Association when I am able to sell my products at any of their events. I have come back to California after living in Oregon with my late husband and late youngest son for several years. This is an area I call home and I am creating new memories and new creations every day. I have faith that the Lord is guiding me in my journey, and my immediate family and my newfound friends continue to encourage me and lift me up.