Bhumika’s Couscous & Lentil Salad
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of cooked lentils
- 4 stalks green onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Juice of a medium-sized lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 1 cup of water and salt to a boil in a medium size sauce pan with lid.
- Take pan off the heat, add couscous and put lid back on.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid and fluff couscous with fork.
- In a mixing bowl, add lentils, green onion, red and green bell pepper, couscous, cumin, cayenne peppers, and lemon.
- Mix until well combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm or cold as a side dish.
Makes: 6 servings | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
About the Chef
Name of Chef: Bhumika Talsania
Family Members: Rajesh Badri, Spouse
Community: San Elijo Hills
Hobbies: Cooking, reading, wine tasting, and spending time with family and friends.
Favorite Local Activity: We enjoy walking the local trails.
About the Recipe: I love Mediterranean flavors and couscous and lentils are common ingredients in this cuisine. What I love most about this recipe is the simplicity and versatility. You can serve it as a side dish as-is or add your favorite roasted vegetables and other cooked beans/lentils to make it a meal. Lastly, I want to point out that this recipe is vegan, but you could add half a cup of feta cheese to turn up the volume in flavor town!
About the Chef: I live in San Marcos with my husband and work at Cal State San Marcos. I love experimenting with new ingredients. I also enjoy discovering new hiking trails throughout San Diego County, traveling, planning dinner parties for my friends, and reading cookbooks and food blogs.