Nikki’s Zucchini Bolognese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 pound grass-fed organic beef
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 5 small organic green zucchinis
- In a large skillet pan on medium-low heat, add olive oil, diced onion, and garlic. Stir until translucent, then add the beef.
- Stir beef until thoroughly cooked, then add tomatoes. Stir, turn temperature down to low, and cover for 5 minutes.
- Once the sauce is slightly bubbly add salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. Stir and taste, add more salt if needed.
Note: you will need a vegetable spiralizer.
- Wash zucchini and pat dry.
- Take your spiralizer and with the skin of the zucchini left on, spiral the zucchini to make the pasta.
- Throw away the center of the zucchini.
- Add pasta to sauce and toss gently. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper if desired.
About the Chef
Name of Chef: Nikki Jencen
Community: San Marcos
Hobbies & Interests: Foodie, lover of all things healthy and gluten-free
Favorite Local Activity: Drinking coffee at Old Town Coffee House
About the Recipe: I’m 100 percent gluten-free and I’m obsessed with vegetables. Each week I created new recipes for my subscribers called Recipe Tuesday. This recipe in particular got rave reviews. It’s bursting with flavor and is super healthy!
About the Chef: Certified Holistic Health Coach, Gluten-free/Paleo Chef, 34 years old, mother of two awesome kids, married to my college sweetheart for 11 beautiful years, food fanatic. I’m crazy about all things healthy, I hate to exercise but do it anyway, and I’m a workaholic (currently working on that), but the way I destress is by cooking and going to the grocery store (without kids!). I’m a dreamer and non-realist – I believe all things are possible.