Beat the Heat!
WHEN TEMPERATURES SOAR, the risk of heat-related illness (also known as sunstroke) increases. Older adults, young children, people with high blood pressure or heart disease, and those who work or train outdoors are especially at risk.
Heat-related illness can range from a mild rash (also known as prickly heat) to heat stroke, a life-threatening condition requiring immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of heat stroke can include
• A body temperature of 102° and rising
• Vomiting and nausea
• A racing heart rate
• Confusion, fainting or seizure; red, hot skin
• Heavy sweating, difficulty breathing
PREVENTION IS KEY
Follow these tips to stay healthy during hot weather.
• Stay indoors in an air-conditioned place or take a cool shower or bath. Or find a mall or other public place where you can stay cool.
• Stay hydrated. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink. Avoid alcohol, sodas, or sugary drinks — they can actually cause you to lose more body fluid!
• Limit outdoor exercise. If you must work out, drink about 8 ounces of cool (not ice-cold) liquids every twenty minutes. If exercising for more than an hour, switch to a sports drink that can replace salt and minerals lost through sweat. (If you’re on a low salt diet or have high blood pressure, check with your doctor before using sports drinks.)
• Always use sunscreen when outdoors. People of all ages should protect their skin, but it’s even more vital for children, whose skin is more susceptible to damage. Keep babies out of the sun completely or use physical barriers such as umbrellas or hats in place of sunscreen.
• Never leave a child or pet in a closed car. This seems like a no-brainer, yet every year dozens of children and pets succumb to heat stroke under these circumstances.
Graybill Medical Group’s San Marcos Office offers Family and Sports Medicine services
to those who live and work in the San Marcos area. It is located just off the 78 Freeway at
277 Rancheros Drive, Suite 100, San Marcos, CA 92069.
Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
To schedule an appointment please call 866.228.2236.